Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Wah ji Wah...the city beautiful

Mehak joins as a columnist
for 'My Chandigarh'
My  first day in Chandigarh. It was my first day at work too. Around 5 in the evening I decided to take a walk. From Sector 32D I walked to the market of Sector 32C. I have mentioned the exact names of the sectors because my city Jalandhar never preferred numbers instead  names of various martyrs, leaders, gods and goddesses is preferred to name all the locations. 
Here, in Chandigarh, the more I walked the more my smile brightened. liberty and independence flowed in the air. I used GPS and found out that sector 34 was nearby. My watch told me I had plenty of time to walk and have fun. I decided to take a longer walk. I did not know that this would become ‘a walk to remember’.
To explore this new city was equally exciting as exploring my newly earned freedom was. Although there was a little fear of being all alone in this unknown city but when  I took a few more steps, the city wide opened its arms and accepted me with warmth. Friendly  people, helped me with directions. I love this city!
Walking past the landmark hospital and then Rajasthan Bhavan I reached a place that left me awestruck. It was the Sector 34C market. A big glow-sign board on a corner shop greeted me with 'Wah Ji Wah’ (that was the name of a restaurant) and I exclaimed “Wah Ji Wah!!”
There were shops of all kinds. As I walked past the furniture shops, another block had all the crowd out for the evening snacks. Golgappas, Chowmein, Pizza, and whole lot of tidbits. But the 'Polka' caught my attention...a huge pastry shop. A sheer treat for my eyes and my taste-buds.
There were rows of small shops with tempting displays of winter wears, casuals, shoes, cosmetics, and what not.  May be next time. 
As I stood  in the middle of the road, I caught the moment when the darkness of night   had just overlapped the dusk; it was a sight! Even this city’s sky appeared new to me like never seen before.  May be because I could hold my head high to see it without any fear.
My watch told me it was 7 pm and brain said “time to go home”. 
- Mehak Chauhan

No comments: